Monday, April 25, 2011

That's NOT Food!

Chemicals, n:  Noxious substances from which modern foods are made.  ~Author Unknown



The more I am eating healthy, the more I am aware of  (and oversensitive to) the amount of unhealthy food that people eat in our country. 

Mr Self Care and I were walking around a local park on Saturday evening.   The weather was beautiful.   A couple of little league games were wrapping up and several families were taking advantage of the warmer temperature to picnic in the park.  

The concessions stand was open and all around us kids were dining on sugar and hot dogs.   We saw no less than 3 parents sitting with McDonald's meals.   One family sat at a picnic table with two little kids dining on Dairy Queen.   Another family had 2 Little Cesaer's boxes and several bottles of cola.

I am conscious of the fact that these are busy times.   With both parents working and doing their best to raise healthy, active kids, I know that sometimes the convenience of fast food is appealing.   The problem is that it is not food....and families are not dining on these meals just "sometimes".

I was listening to a lecture recently about sugar toxicity.  The professor stated that our Western Diet is a popular one.   It is appealing because it is portable, has a long shelf life, and - due to the large quantities of fat and sugar- it tastes good too.      Consequently, the Western Diet is proving detrimental to other countries that adopt our toxic diet.   There is a strong correlation between eating the American Way- high fat, high sugar, low nutrient, huge portions- and a the rise of obesity rates, diabetes and heart disease in countries that have traditionally eaten what was available to them culturally and locally.

The purpose of my post is not to instill guilt or to chastise.  I am always happy to see families spending time together in the park!   I just want to raise some awareness about what we put into our bodies.   We need healthy food to be healthy.

Making small dietary changes- instead of huge sweeping ones- can be a step in the right direction.   I encourage you to start today with these important changes:
  1. Love yourself.   This is the first step to doing right by yourself!
  2. Be mindful about what you are eating and feeding your family.   Simple awareness can lead to better choices.
  3. Make just one improvement at a time.   This week (or month) get in the habit of adding a piece of fruit to your diet.   Next week (or month) cut out sugar.  
Since I have started eating healthier, I have lost weight, I have more energy, I sleep better at night, my blood pressure is down and I just feel better overall!   I really want you to experience feeling this good too!  

Take Good Care!

No comments: