The one way to get thin is to re-establish a purpose in life. ~Cyril Connolly, The Unquiet Grave
During the first round of the HCG diet I have lost 30lbs and almost 2 dress sizes. What I gained was a renewed emphasis on portion control, an understanding about what foods my body will not tolerate well (bread and sugar), and the importance of sleep, exercise and my caloric intake.
As I embark on the maintenance phase of my new healthy lifestyle. I have a few rules that I will be following. I think that this strategy will help me to continue to lose weight, become increasingly healthy and moderate my love of fabulous food.
This is my philosophy. I think parts of it may differ from what many experts would prescribe. But it makes sense to me...I think it will work for me...and I happen to know ME better than any expert does. My philosophy is also not written in stone. I will monitor how I feel, if I gain weight or if something is just not working well for me and I will make adjustments as needed.
My Current Healthy Philosophy:
1) I will eat fresh, in season, minimally processed organic foods only. To me it is about quality and flavor. Fruits and vegetables taste so much better when freshly picked. Grass fed lean beef, wild caught salmon, free-range chicken are more likely to NOT contain harmful bacteria and metals than those meats that are processed on commercial farms. These foods are better for me. I am not bothered paying extra for these foods. To me, paying extra for quality food is a good investment.
2) I will not be eating starches or sugars very often. I believe that these foods will inhibit my on-going weight loss. I will allow myself to indulge (moderately) on special occasions (birthdays, holidays, weddings, parties etc..)
3) I will drink lots of water
4) I will not eat “low-fat” anything. Instead I will eat full-fat dairy products in serious moderation. I am all about flavor and the processing that some of our low-fat foods go through is much worse for a person than eating something that is full fat.
5) I will continue to watch my calories – both how much I take in, and how much I burn through exercise.
6) I will eat a wide variety of foods- mostly vegetables, at least a serving of fruit per day, and adequate amounts of protein. I will plan my meals and snacks in advance to ensure that I am prepared and eating a balanced diet.
7) I will get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is important for recharging the body and studies show that it is important to health and weight management. I noticed a huge difference in weight loss while on HCG when I got a good nights sleep versus when I didn't.
8) I will practice good dental care. Flossing, brushing and getting regular check-ups and cleanings. A recent study shows a correlation between good dental hygiene and weight management.
9) I will continue to monitor my blood pressure. One of the best things that I achieved with my recent weight loss is that my blood pressure is down. My doctor agreed to discontinue my prescription. I am watching to ensure that it continues to stay down! Eating healthy, exercise and losing more weight will definitely help this. Also taking time each day to meditate.
10) I will exercise each day. This is not my favorite thing to do, but I will continue to look for ways to move that I find enjoyable.
So what do you think? Do you have a food philosophy of your own? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Take Good Care!