Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Different Is A Good Thing!


One who walks in another's tracks leaves no footprints.  ~Proverb




One secret to success I learned in business school is to look at what is currently offered in the marketplace and then improve upon it.   

We were told to emphasize our product strengths and to focus on what makes our product or service different.     

I was thinking of this concept today from a “personal” perspective.    The same principle holds true for individuals.    What makes us interesting and attractive and successful is not in how we are alike, but in how we are different.   

Keeping up with the images we see on television and the appearances of prosperous lifestyles that we may perceive around us can have a negative impact on our feelings of well-being.     

Ultimately, it is not the attainment of material things that will make us happy in our lives.   What brings us the most fulfillment is the quality of the relationships we have with others and –I believe even more important- the quality of the relationship and acceptance we give to ourselves!

These are some of the ways I am different:

  1. I haven’t paid a cable bill in over 15 years.   (I am okay with this!)
  2. I hate politics  (I am neither democrat, republican, liberal, progressive nor conservative…or maybe I am a little of each…not too sure, but also not too concerned)
  3. I am committed to becoming debt free and retiring at the age of 50.
  4. I love to do NOTHING sometimes.   In fact I can do NOTHING for long periods of time and be okay with it.
  5. I have 1, 5 and 10 year plans- I am very goal oriented. (And patient too!)
  6. I am not afraid to try new things…I am not afraid of change (unless it involves a permanent loss of someone I love- I am afraid of that)
  7. I will try any food once…twice if I like it.   (There aren’t many foods that I don’t like)
  8. I am not a fan of big public events.   I would rather stay home than have to deal with navigating through traffic and big crowds.
  9. I believe in continuous education...never stop learning and becoming.
  10.  I prefer to spend my money on experiences over things.   For this reason, I drive an older car and need new furniture in my home…but I am well-traveled.

I encourage you to take an inventory and celebrate your differences too!

Take Good Care!

No comments: