Friday, May 21, 2010

Kauai Day 6: Another Day At The Beach

“The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea.” - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Today, we discovered the joys of snorkling.   My only regret is that we didn't do this earlier in the week because it is our new favorite thing.  

In front of our hotel is pink sand and a wonderful coral reef.  We had been playing in the surf daily but never realized what amazing creatures were swimming around us.    (This was probably a good thing since the idea of swimming with things I can't see kind of creeps me out).

If you have never snorkled before, here is the deal:   You need goggles and an air pipe- which my husband calls the "snorkle" (I do not know if that is truely the name for it, but we will go with that).   The goggles allow you to see clearly, the snorkle allows you to breath through your mouth for long periods so you can keep your face in the water and watch the fish.   It is also a good idea to have fins or aqua socks.  Coral is sharp and these will protect your feet.

From the minute we stuck our faces in the water, we were seeing amazing tropical fish in shades of yellow, blues, red and rainbow.   Salt water makes you buoyant, so it is very effortless to just lay on top of the waves and meditate on the fish.   They come right up to you but never touch you.   



So far I haven't seen anything too scary.   I am not sure what I will do if I happen upon a shark or an eel.   That will definately put an end to my snorkling passion.   I am told that we will be fine if we stay close to shore and away from big groupings of coral.  

At any rate, we have decided that we will spend Day 7 on the beach...or, rather, in the sea with the fish.  

Aloha!


No comments: