Friday, May 7, 2010

Diversity

“It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” - Maya Angelou




I attended an interview today for a management position at work.   (I was on top of my game today and I think it all went very well!)

One question that I was asked was about dealing with diversity.   "Tell me about a situation where you were not successful or where you had difficulty dealing with diversity."   

Well,  I do not think I have ever had an issue with diversity, and I work in a VERY diverse group on an extremely global program within an international company.  Quite frankly I think that people who do have difficulty with diversity are in the extreme minority.   We are all diverse, but it seems that in our society we always use this term to describe a minority group.  And there seems to be a message here that we need to treat diversity with kid gloves- especially if you are not in the minority group.    This doesn't feel right to me.

My response to the question was that I couldn't think of any situation where diversity was an issue for me.   I suggested that perhaps my approach- to always respect people as individuals- pretty much made our diversity a moot point.  

What I have found is that no matter where people comes from, they all want to be respected and valued.   We are all diverse.  

What do you think?

No comments: