I am writing this after a very hectic weekend. I was so busy bustling about trying to get things done, the thought of practicing self care didn’t occur to me until I plopped down on the couch at the end of the day – exhausted- and began to sort through my mental to-do and done lists. Some things got done...some things didn’t ....and unfortunately self care didn’t.
I had a good think about this after kicking myself for not making myself a priority. And then I decided that step one should be to not kick myself.
Some days are like this. It’s okay. The important thing is to recognize how important self care is and commit to do better the next day.
After forgiving myself for being human, I decided to develop a list of quick, small tasks I could use in the future to get my little self care fix in when time is of the essence:
1) Be gentle with yourself (no kicking or beating yourself up- be loving!)
2) Make a list like this for yourself (What little things rejuvenate you?)
3) Create a "done" list in your head or on paper - give yourself credit for what you have accomplished!
4) Take 10 deep breaths
5) Do only what needs to be done...and nothing more. (I like to clean house before I go to bed, but I really needed to just go to bed)
6) Have a piece of chocolate, a cookie or some little treat.
7) Stop and get yourself something to drink...refocus your eyes and stretch
8) Grab some lotion and massage your hands, arms...feet, legs.
9) Name 5 things you are thankful for
10) Ask for help.
Despite my concerns about getting everything done before our vacation on Wednesday, I did manage to stop scurrying about and accepted a movie date with Mr SC last night. Ironically the movie was set in London (our holiday destination) and it was really nice way to whet our appetite for our upcoming trip! You never know what kind of joy a little break from the holiday hustle and bustle may provide you. Be sure to say YES to the self care!
Take Good Care!
Self Care Girl
Holiday 'Elf Care Specialist