Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Smelly Things...

Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains; another, a moonlit beach; a third, a family dinner of pot roast and sweet potatoes during a myrtle-mad August in a Midwestern town. Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines hidden under the weedy mass of years. Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once. A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth. ~Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of the Senses




There are many fragrances that trigger memories for me.   Lilacs on a hot sunny day alway remind me of my first little apartment.  They grew along the walkway in a hedge at the sunny front entrance of the building. 

Fresh tomatoes remind me of summer; fresh baked cookies remind me of fall, Old Spice reminds me of my Grandpa Chris and Lavendar makes me think of my son.

I am not a huge lover of perfumes, I prefer natural scents: citrus, roses, almond, vanilla, and spice.

Fresh baked scents, like apple pie, gingerbread and chocolate cake comfort me. 

My BFF stayed with us for a month and she turned our guest room into her space - it never smelled better than it did when she was here.   The first time I walked into the room it brought back memories of growing up with her.   Just a soft, clean and warm floral scent. 

What a wonderful way to leave a mark on the world!  To have a signature scent- a wonderful smell that lingers and reminds people of you.   I am going to have to experiment with this!

On my way to work today I decided to practice just being in the moment.   I left my cell phone in my purse, turned off the radio and just drove.

The best way I have found to get centered is to engage your senses.   What do you see? hear? feel? smell?  I encourage you to try this.  

BTW:  All I could smell was coconut lotion from Kauai. It did make me happy.  = )

No comments: