Monday, June 7, 2010

Just Doin' It - (WK 1, Day 1 Couch to 5K)

“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.” -John C, Maxwell



This is my 3rd attempt at the Couch Potato to 5K training program- a 9 week running regime that takes you from Point A (sedentary chair sitter) to Point B (powerful 5K running queen).   The first time I did this, I made it to week 7 and decided that running is not for me.    The second time I only got to week 5.   My goal this time is to finish (but I have a secret goal to just not keep moving backwards- must get past week 5!)

I feel like I have an awful decision to make each day: Exercise, or don't exercise.   Followed by another really terrible decision:  morning or evening.    In the morning I am too tired.    In the evening I am too tired.  But if a workout is going to happen, it will happen in the evening.   I cannot be coaxed out of bed in the morning to do a workout.   I wish I was that dedicated.   I am not.

Forgive my negativity here- I am usually a very positive person, but running on a treadmill is ranked right up there under toilet cleaning on my list of "tasks that put me in a foul mood". (at least until the endorphines kick in- which btw has never happened to me while wielding a toilet brush.)

So in the evening, when I get home from work, I immediately put on my exercise clothing and get started with the Couch to 5K training before I have too much time to think about it.   There is definately enough thinking that is going on when I am in the middle of it.

Thoughts going through my head when I am on the treadmill:
  • Ugh. Lets get this over with.
  • Good music
  • Why am I doing this again? it is obvious that I am not a runner.
  • OMG! I hate this!
  • How about a little positive attitude? (followed by a few minutes of trying to find something immediately positive about it)
  • maybe if I focus on something else
  • maybe if I just focus on the movement itself
  • my feet hurt
  • I wonder at what point people who run decide that they love running.
  • I wonder if I will ever love running
  • I need to get a hold of Dr Doug and get some new orthotics.  
  • Something in my shoe doesn't feel right
  • Can't run to this song...need to update MP3
  • Halfway there
  • You can do this.  (do I detect a few enforphins here?)
  • How am I going to be ready for 5k by end of July - not enough weeks to complete the C25K - will have to do this every other day rather than 3 times a week.
  • Maybe I would like this better if I did it outide.
  • I doubt it.
  • I am hungry
  • My feet hurt
  • The first week of this is not so hard...it just isn't fun.
  • a little bit more
  • I need better music...and something interesting to look at.
  • and STOP!  (Thank you, Jesus!)
Week 1, Day 1 Stats.

Time: 25.00
Walk pace: 3.0
Run pace: 3.5
Incline: 0
Distance: 1.297 milesk
kcalories burned: 123

1 comment:

Pahla said...

You definitely need to run OUTSIDE! The fresh air helps the endorphins kick in. Plus, there's the built-in motivation: once you've run a mile from your house, the only way to get home is to run back! :-)