This is my 3rd attempt at the Couch Potato to 5K training program- a 9 week running regime that takes you from Point A (sedentary chair sitter) to Point B (powerful 5K running queen). The first time I did this, I made it to week 7 and decided that running is not for me. The second time I only got to week 5. My goal this time is to finish (but I have a secret goal to just not keep moving backwards- must get past week 5!)
I feel like I have an awful decision to make each day: Exercise, or don't exercise. Followed by another really terrible decision: morning or evening. In the morning I am too tired. In the evening I am too tired. But if a workout is going to happen, it will happen in the evening. I cannot be coaxed out of bed in the morning to do a workout. I wish I was that dedicated. I am not.
Forgive my negativity here- I am usually a very positive person, but running on a treadmill is ranked right up there under toilet cleaning on my list of "tasks that put me in a foul mood". (at least until the endorphines kick in- which btw has never happened to me while wielding a toilet brush.)
So in the evening, when I get home from work, I immediately put on my exercise clothing and get started with the Couch to 5K training before I have too much time to think about it. There is definately enough thinking that is going on when I am in the middle of it.
Thoughts going through my head when I am on the treadmill:
- Ugh. Lets get this over with.
- Good music
- Why am I doing this again? it is obvious that I am not a runner.
- OMG! I hate this!
- How about a little positive attitude? (followed by a few minutes of trying to find something immediately positive about it)
- maybe if I focus on something else
- maybe if I just focus on the movement itself
- my feet hurt
- I wonder at what point people who run decide that they love running.
- I wonder if I will ever love running
- I need to get a hold of Dr Doug and get some new orthotics.
- Something in my shoe doesn't feel right
- Can't run to this song...need to update MP3
- Halfway there
- You can do this. (do I detect a few enforphins here?)
- How am I going to be ready for 5k by end of July - not enough weeks to complete the C25K - will have to do this every other day rather than 3 times a week.
- Maybe I would like this better if I did it outide.
- I doubt it.
- I am hungry
- My feet hurt
- The first week of this is not so hard...it just isn't fun.
- a little bit more
- I need better music...and something interesting to look at.
- and STOP! (Thank you, Jesus!)
Walk pace: 3.0
Run pace: 3.5
Distance: 1.297 milesk
kcalories burned: 123