Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6: How to Get Your Self Care In on A Very Hectic Day

The best time to take a break is when you don't think you have time for one! - Unknown


Today was just one of those hectic days where I didn't think about self care until it seemed almost too late to do anything about it.  

Some days are like that.     

I had a good think about this after kicking myself for not making myself a priority.   And then I decided that step one should be to not  kick myself.    I felt better immediately.   You have to do the best you can some days and I really believe I did just that!

  The second step after forgiving myself for being human....develop a list of quick, small tasks I could use in the future to get my little self care fix in.  

1) Be gentle with yourself  (no kicking or beating yourself up about it!)
2)  Make a plan for next time you find yourself in the same circumstance
3) Create a "done" list in your head or on paper - give yourself credit for what you have accomplished!
4) Take 10 deep breaths
5) Do only  what needs to be done...and nothing more.  (I like to clean house before I go to bed, but I really  needed to just go to bed)
6) Have a piece of chocolate, a cookie or some little treat.
7) Stop and get yourself something to drink...refocus your eyes and stretch
8) Grab some lotion and massage your hands, arms...feet, legs. 
9) Name 5 things you are thankful for
10) Ask for help.   

Got any other good, quick self care remedies?   Let us know!

No comments: