Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 3 - A Hot Bath with a Mani-Pedi

"We start to realize that there are anodynes in life that help us through the day. I don't care if it's a walk in the park, a look out the window, a good bubble bath - whatever. Even a meal you like, or a friend you want to call. That helps us solve all this stuff in our head." - Al Pacino


This is not my first post on bubble baths, nor will it likely be my last.   There is simply nothing more soothing than a good hot soak when you have had a long day using your body and brain muscles. 

I like my bath full and scented with lavender.   I like the lights dimmed, a candle or two lit and the sound of water running gently.    Tub time may very well be the most inexpensive, most simple and most beneficial form of self care available to those of us who possess bath tubs.

For Day 3 of the 31 Days of Self Care Challenge, I had a bath and gave myself a much needed mani-pedi.   I was a nail biter for most of my life.   However a few years ago I remedied that with a proper manicure.  It is like most things in life- a little extra attention to one small thing can make a world of difference.  Smooth nails are less likely to be nibbled.     I love to go to the salon, but I have found that a simple manicure here in Australia is quite a bit more expensive than I would spend in the States.    Fortunately manicures are easily performed at home. 

The best time to give yourself a mani-pedi is after a nice hot bath.    The soak will soften your nail and make them easier to work with.    Clean your nails with a good nail brush then trim and file them.  Gently push back the cuticles, (I learned recently that you should not cut your cuticles!) and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.   Previous experiences with painting my own nails have not been positive- so I skip that.   I am perfectly happy with clean, neatly trimmed nails and soft, smooth hands. 

For your feet, I recommend getting a good brush and pumice stone.  Scrub out the rough spots.    Trim and file the nails and then spend some time giving yourself a luxurious foot massage.   I like the invigorating effects of a minty foot lotion.   Coat your feet with lotion and then cover them with a soft pair of cotton socks.   Your body heat will enhance the moisturizing effects of the lotion.
 
Home spa products can be a great self care treat and a new lotion or potion will definitely inspire a little pampering.    However, you can find lots of beauty recipes on line using products you may already have in your home.  What I have found is that the most important element of the home spa experience is not the products you use, but the actual time and attention you spent on YOU!    

Did you give yourself some quality time today?   Let us know!

No comments: