Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 1 - Let the Self Care Festivities Begin!

“As a rule, the mind, residing in a body that has become weakened by pampering, is also weak, and where there is no strength of mind there can be no strength of soul.” - Mahatma Gandhi (....who apparently has never experienced the soul enhancing properties of a good hot stone massage!)

 

 


Mr Self Care and I started off our 31 Days of Self Care in a big way yesterday.   We had a couple's hot stone massage at Body Freedom Day Spa!

The cold and rainy weather outside was completely miserable, but this is actually PERFECT weather for lying on a massage table all bundled up in warm blankets with a row of hot stones running the length of your spine.

In a hot stone massage, the therapist uses the smooth heated stones to warm and then work the kinks out of your muscles.    For a whole hour and a half, Mr SC and I were pleasantly pummeled into jello-like beings.   I caught myself falling asleep at least 3 times.    It was heavenly!

The worst part of a hot stone massage- and any relaxing spa treatment, really- is the end...when the therapist says in a low whisper..."okay, that is all for today...take your time getting up...stretch a bit...there is a glass of water here for you...." 

I heard our therapists leave the room....and then complete silence.      No movement from Mr SC's table next to me.   And I was thinking "I just want to lay here....like ALL day." and I know that my dear husband was thinking the same thing.   I half expected to hear snoring...but eventually he did stir and I had no choice but to follow suit.

I have seen massages advertised for as low as $50 an hour in the U.S.    You can often find coupons on the internet or get last minute specials when a spa is looking to fill a slot in their calendar.    Check your local massage school too - massage therapists are required to put in a minimum number of hours to get licensed.   You can often get treatments at half price this way.

To get a free massage, I suggest you add this to your wish list for Christmas, Birthday, Valentine's Day, or other important holiday or celebration day and let those people who really care about you know that an hour or so of pampering would be just perfect!

Did you start Day 1 off  in a fabulous way?   Let us know! 

No comments: