Saturday, April 17, 2010

The "DONE" List

For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, or a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.   -Fr. Alfred D'Souza


Here we are, again, at the end of another week and I have barely made a dent in the to-do list that I put together last Saturday.

Okay...maybe it was a really, really long and never-ending kind of to-do list....and maybe I was a tad unrealistic to think I could fit so many amazing accomplishments into just 7 days.....and YES,  I probably should have capped the list after Wednesday when I decided to added items #347) Make cookies for my kidlet, #348) Sell a condo and #349) Solve World Hunger.   (Can you guess which one I did actually accomplish?....sold the condo! YES!)

The problem with "to-do" lists is people usually omit those really beneficial tasks like "stay in bed all day and read" and "spent an hour in an adirondak chair getting some Vitamin D"   Important and rejuvinating tasks like (this is for Wanda) "harvest my Farmville crops" and "play a few rounds of Family Feud" never seem to make the "to-do" list cut.

I was thinking about this last night while looking at my current never ending list and it got me wondering how I was possibly going to relax this weekend when I have to item #243) Plant seeds, #287) Clean bird droppings of the back deck and #301) Clean the toilet, blaring at me for completion.

Quite frankly, this list of action items makes me feel bad.   I am overwhelmed with work to do and when I don't make progress I feel somehow inadequate - even when I know that the list is not humanly possible to achieve.

This week I am making two changes:
  1. I am going to limit my to -do list  to 3 major tasks and one of these  3 tasks will be a "relax" task. 
  2. I am also going to create a "DONE" list - and give myself a pat on the back when I complete those 3 tasks!
I will let you know how it goes!

Take Good Care!

2 comments:

Ella said...

I too get overwhelmed with my "to do" lists....which never shorten. I think my lists get PMS.....they experience bloating from time to time.
Thanks for your great reminder to do nothing.....I often take that approach, even when i don't explicitly have "nothing" written on my pad.
Enjoy your blog! -Ella

Self Care Girl said...

Thank you for your post, Ella...I think my lists may have PMS too, now that you mention it! LOL!