Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Empty Nests

“There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: One is roots, the other is wings.” Hodding Carter



I spent the weekend cleaning out my son's room.   It took while for me to get around to this.   Jake moved out over a year ago.   I didn't realize until I was in the midst of sorting that perhaps my procrastination had subconscious roots.  This task-that on its surface seems so simple- is rife with emotional significance.

I am sifting through the belongings that he didn't feel he needed anymore.  I have a pile of stuff to keep that might come in handy for grandkids someday.   I have a pile for charity.  I have a few boxes of belongings that I think he may have forgotten.   He told me not to worry about this, but I cannot help it.  I am a mom!

The past year has been all about letting go.  I have let go of my expectations for what he should do with his life.  (I have not let go of my hope that he will return to college someday!)  Cleaning out his room is just one more step along this journey.   These things- while sentimental- are really just things.  What is real and important will be retained even after we let them go.

No comments: