Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Taking A Little Life Inventory.

‎"Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you ought to set up a life you don't need to escape from." ~Seth Godin




Seth Godin’s words have stuck with me this week. The quote above sort of stopped me in my tracks when I first read it.

How would this look: This life you don’t need to escape from? And why do I feel the need to escape from the current one?

For the most part I like the life I have. I have a really enviable life, a wonderful husband, loving family, great friends. We have good jobs. We travel, we attend cultural events, we eat fine food, indulge in little luxuries here and there, and our home is quite comfortable.

There are a few things I would change given the opportunity. I would like to have my own business- or more control over my work. I would like to live closer to the water. My one regret is not having a whole tribe of kid-lets. I was raised with a big extended family around- I would love to return to those days.

The “set up a life” part takes time. If you aren’t happy with your current situation, you have to decide first what part of your life is not working for you. Then you need to determine if it is within your capability to change it.

Quite frankly, even if I had the perfect life, I think I would still need a vacation. Vacations are one of my favorite things! Not everyone who wanders is lost, and not everyone who vacations is escaping.

Although I admit that Seth got me to take a little “life inventory” and there is nothing wrong with that.

No comments: