“The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.” – M Scott Peck
I accepted a special assignment this week that will have me doing several things over the next 8 months that make me a little uncomfortable:
• I will be travelling alone
• I will be travelling internationally
• I will be gone from 6 to 8 weeks at a time (away from Mr. Self Care!)
• I am expected to provide some high profile project management on subject matter that is not within the scope of my expertise.
While I have wanted to stretch myself for a while now, and I am excited and honored that someone has decided I am capable; inside, I am a bit anxious and worried that I am going to blow it. There is also the prospect of being out there in the world alone…going to dinner ALONE! Figuring out the lay of the land ALONE and trying to make my way ALONE in places where the culture and language are new to me.
I am putting together this survival plan in my head…
• To look at this as an adventure. Every time you step out of your comfort zone you expand it! I am going to meet new people, and have some great experiences along the way.
• To take things as they come…one thing at a time…one step at a time. The answers will be there as I require them.
• To rely upon others and ask for help when I need it. I am going to be leading a team of subject matter experts- I only have to know how to communicate and organize (which ARE my areas of expertise). I really am not so alone. I may even learn new ways to communicate!
• I am going to practice lots of good self-care.