Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women’s Day: Thinking Globally, Acting Locally

There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women.  
~Madeleine K. Albright




Happy International Women’s Day!  

Although this is the 100th celebration of International Women’s Day, many of us have only become aware of this important global holiday this year….some of us didn’t know about it until yesterday… and it is quite possible that a few of you are just now hearing about it on this blog…(and that is perfectly okay.) 

I, personally, will not be taking the day off today, even though celebrations and demonstrations are happening in our honor all over the world (and I am tempted!).   

It’s not that I don’t believe in the holiday (I really do!)…but like most of the women I know, I have my own little vida loca to deal with today, and I cannot just spontaneously drop everything to join a rally.   I know that many of you are also the glue that hold important lives together…and -quite frankly-even if you did find a way to escape, everything you didn’t do today would be there waiting for you twofold tomorrow…(the laundry is simply not going to wash itself... and why is it that no one else in your house sees fit to replace that toilet paper roll when its empty?)

The most important thing about today (and everyday) is that we take time to honor women.   This does not have to be done on a grand scale…no need to organize a parade…or join a movement.   Little things do mean a lot and collectively we really can have a huge impact.

10 small ways to celebrate International Women’s Day:

  1. Be nice to other women – we have so much in common, none of us are perfect.  Show gratitude and tolerance.
  2. Teach our sons to respect and love women
  3. Teach our daughters to respect and love themselves
  4. Donate your… time, money, clothes, household items, kid’s toys, etc…to organizations that support the growth and well-being of women.
  5. Offer to babysit for a girlfriend who needs a break
  6. Buy a bouquet of flowers…share them randomly with women you encounter all the way home.
  7. Invite a friend over (or out) for coffee and conversation
  8. Be a good example.
  9. Support women owned businesses in your neighborhood and town 
  10. Be kind to yourself

Take Good Care!

3 comments:

Kara said...

I love this post! I'd never heard it was Women's Day until I came here for a visit. Now I'm definately calling my friend I've been neglecting lately and inviting her out for lunch.

Self Care Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kara! I hope you enjoy lunch with your friend.

Take Good Care!

Erin Wallace said...

I confess that I didn't know about this day until today - but I'm so happy that it exists. I've often wondered why there seems to be such rancor between women and I hope that other women take to heart being nice and helping each other; why shouldn't we, after all.