Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Appreciating Strengths.

“Success is achieved by developing our strengths, not by eliminating our weaknesses” Marilyn vos Savant quotes (American Journalist and columnist of Ask Marilyn. Billed as the person with the highest IQ (228) ever recorded. b.1946)




I love book stores and libraries!

It empowers me to be surrounded by so much documented information, so much creativity and diverse opinions. I could spend all day browsing.

There is a little game that I play when I find myself happily between the racks: Next time you are in your favorite book place, stop for a moment, take a deep breath and pose a question. Any Question will do – a spiritual one…or cooking, or business...or simply “what do I need to know right now?”

Then grab a random book off of the shelf, open it to any old page, and read your answer.

(Sometimes this works…sometimes it makes me laugh…sometimes it is just mysterious and I have no idea what it means, but I still try to make sense of it)

I did this little exercise on recently.  I posed the question “what can I do to improve in my career?”

The answer came from a little book called “Strength Finder 2.0”, and I will paraphrase here: too many times we focus on overcoming our weaknesses when we would be much more successful if we work to perfect the strengths we already possess.

Well, I bought the book and I went to the website and completed the assessment that was included with my purchase. The results were very insightful and I think fairly accurate too. (Ironically, one of my strengths is my love of information and books!)

I am still analyzing the feedback but my biggest “ah-ha!” is that some of my tendencies –which I previously viewed as weaknesses- were conveyed through this exercise as strengths. For instance: I frequently have my head in the clouds- always dreaming and planning for the future. The assessment called this “futuristic” thinking – It proposes that I would be very good at helping others visualize possibilities. I do like the idea of that.

No comments: